Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Home Sweet Home

I got home Thursday November 11 -- driving the 700+ miles from San Francisco to home with only brief stops for food and restrooms.  The homing instinct is powerful and I was enjoying a beautiful drive up 101 to Crescent City, then over the beautiful 199 to Grants Pass and then lots of straight freeway home.

I'll add the final numbers sometime soon, but the trip ended up being around 4500 miles -- and the Smart Car was outstanding and fun.  As I often say, it's not much as a car, but as an all-weather motorcycle it is great. Other than the nail in the tire in St. George, Utah -- the only other malfunction was a broken piece of plastic latch for the back tailgate.  The only symptom was that it was difficult to open the tailgate for a few days -- and as I was passing through Santa Clara on my way to San Francisco, I stopped at a Smart dealer and was treated royally.  I was back on the road within an hour with the warranty fix -- and enjoyed free coffee and wifi while at the dealership.

Deb returns home from the east coast on the 21st and we are already talking about where we might make our next Smart Car trip -- the Alaskan highway to Anchorage is on the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment